Newsletters

icon-newsletter

Find out more about our meetings. Catch up if you've been unable to attend. Download the group's Newsletters below in pdf format.
You can register for our newsletters by contacting one of our team at

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
just drop us a line or better still come along to one of our meetings.

In August 2014 there was a Q&A Session. Here is that newsletter for download. Q&A August 2014

October 2016

We started our new meeting format this month. Claire was on hand from 7.00pm – 7.30pm to provide advice followed by a discussion on the proposed activities at the new Wellbeing Centre and Breast Cancer Care pulling out of training for Headstrong Volunteers.
Claire will also be attending the Ladies Luncheon fundraiser tomorrow as a speaker and will be sharing a platform with Gloria Hunniford, (this event raised in excess £8,000.00 last year for the Breast Unit).

Speaker: Shirley Howard from the Cambridge and Peterborough Learning Trust was our speaker for the evening and introduced herself to the group. She explained that the Trust’s focus was on learning for wellbeing and had become involved as a volunteer as she had an interest in craft work and thought she could put it to good use.

Nine years ago she became widowed and to occupy her time started making cards. From there Shirley has gone on to learn other associated crafts such as paper flowers, stamping, bow making and table decorations - which she was going to show us tonight.

AOB: Val had visited Olive and give her a bouquet from us all. She still has her arm in a sling but is at home, a support worker to look after her for the next few weeks.

June provided a flyer about the Eastern Angles production of ‘Stoat Hall’ at the Key Theatre in January. This has now become an annual event and for members wanting to see their latest comedy the date is Thursday 26th January starting at 2.30pm.

Denise and June who had met with Dave Christian from the CP Learning Trust and discovered that they could provide speaker’s on Beauty Therapy, LUSH cosmetics and up-cycling furniture. 

Read More

September 2016

This was an open meeting to discuss opportunities and issues for PBCSG over coming year (2017) and whether to change the format for our meetings.

Breast Care Nurses: Breast Care Nurses have been struggling to regularly attend our meetings due to staff shortages. Claire had contacted Denise to suggest they come along for the first half hour 7.00pm – 7.30pm, to provide the opportunity to answer any open or private questions.

Drop-In Event: The drop-in event at the Robert Horrell Macmillan Cancer Centre on 10th August had given us food for thought. Headstart are planning weekly sessions at the Centre. Talking to the Centre’s project management it was found that they also plans to set up specific cancer support groups including one for breast cancer; which will run for a year. This implied that the new membership for PBCSG would dwindle! read more...

Crokus: Gill had had a chat with the Crokus Group who organised various activities & events for members throughout the year, which everyone present agreed was a good idea worth trying. 

Helen suggested an activity every other month such as a pizza or a drink. Val did not think we should abandon the hotel and thought any activities should take place after 8.00pm. Rosemary said if we did we could spend the time doing craft stuff which we could sell to raise money.

We decided to draw up a rough list of suggestions for 2017 taking on board that the Breast Cancer Nurses will always attend between 7.00 – 7.30pm except in January.

AOB: Jaysee had raised £16 from the Rowing Lake walk, which is something we will repeat next year.

Olive has been moved to the Elms at Whittlesey to help with her recovery following her accident. Both Val and Denise had spoken to Sarah, who said Olive can now walk with help and she is hoping to get her home in the next 2 weeks.

Helen is picking up emails off the PBCSG website, Gill will contact Susan to find out how she can access them too.

Read More

August 2016

Like most groups our August meeting was very depleted, just four of us turned up and we were greeted with the news that Olive had fallen down and fractured her pelvis and arm. We wish Olive all our best wishes, a speedy recovery and a safe return home.

Group Funds: Val gave an update; so far there is £1,546.42 in the Kitty.

walk2

Walk: Gill and Rosemary had raised an additional £35.00 from their Rowing Lake walk event on 16th July. The walk had been great and took about 1 hour after which, as it was then lunch time, we stopped off at the Boathouse for refreshments.

10th August: There was a drop-in event at the Robert Horrell Macmillan Cancer Centre on 10th August prior to the launch of the new Wellbeing Centre in September.

Doncaster Model for Cancer Care – This is a scheme set up by a cancer survivor, Doncaster council and Macmillan Cancer Support and is made up of a network of volunteers across various age groups. If anyone wants more information or is interested in setting up a scheme in Peterborough contact Gill on

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Speakers: It was agreed that the time given to speakers be reduced to one hour from 7.15-8.15pm, including the inevitable question & answer session.

Read More

July 2016

This July Caroline Lansell revisited the group to tell us about current thinking on sleep and being able to relax. Caroline is based at the Robert Horrell Centre and is a Clinical Specialist Occupational Therapist. She explained that she is not an expert on sleep therapy but she had brought along a number of ‘tips’ to improve sleeping patterns.

Denise thanked Val for all her hard work with the Strawberry Tea event and presented her with a bouquet, Gill was also given some flowers for her work on the plant stall. 

Tea party 01
Val said that the Strawberry Tea had made a total of £408.90p. This was made up from £225 for tickets, £85 from the tombola, £26 from plants sold and £96 in donations. Val thanked everyone for their contributions and making the event a success.

We welcomed Joy Keys back to the group from New Zealand.

Rowing Lake Walk at 11.00am 16th July. Rosemary, June, Denise and Gill confirmed they would be taking part.

Casting for Recovery – Although it was thought it might be a bit late for applications for this activity, Gill will find out the where and when to bring back to the group in August

Read More

June 2016

pinktrainers

Our June meeting was small, perhaps because although it was June, the weather was more like April and people did not feel like turning out. Anyway we met to organise the Strawberry Tea event to be held in Val’s garden on June 18th with the hope that the weather would pick up again.

Walking Event: July was the preferred month with either the 9th or 16th (both Saturdays) as the date. It was felt that if we started at 11.00am we could finish with lunch together at 12.30ish. The Boathouse or Dragonfly at the Rowing Lake can cater for our large group and parking is free. Denise asked people to contact other members they knew to find out their preferred date. If people wanted to take on fundraising, sponsorship forms can be provided at our meeting on 7th July.

Reconstructive Surgery: Vanessa gave an update on the Breast Unit and the introduction of new reconstructive surgery which was saving some women from having a mastectomy depending on the position of the tumour.

AOB: The Head and Neck groups AGM will be held on 18th September at the Woodman to which we are invited time to be confirmed nearer the date.

Joy Keys who visited last year from Malaysia is planning another six weeks trip to Peterborough and hopes to catch up with us again then.

Val asked if anyone had seen Rita recently or knew how she was getting on.

Read More

May 2016

icon-lymphoedemaRosie Callcott, Lymphoedema Specialist Nurse was our speaker for the evening.  Rosie is based at the Robert Horrell Macmillan Cancer Centre on the City Hospital site, where she has the dual role of leading the Day Centre Team and providing the Lymphoedema service.

There is a Charities Conference on the 7th June at the Kingsgate Centre for anyone who is interested in attending. Details can be provided by Denise

Tombola prizes for the Strawberry Tea were passed on to Val who reminded everyone that she will be selling tickets at the next meeting £5.00 each.

We have looked into the possibility of a Walk, (for those that want to collect sponsorship that is OK to do it personally) followed by a food/social sit down and chat. As the end of June seems busy we can possibly book a walk and food on any of the following days: Saturday or Sunday June 11th & 12th or July 9th, 10th, 16th or 17th. 

Please let us know by the next meeting if ANY of you are interested in doing this as there is a lot of organisation involved and give us your preferred dates, we felt Saturdays were more favoured at the last Meeting!

Read More

April 2016

We had an open meeting in April to give us the chance to organise our activities for 2016. These were:-

strawberryteaStrawberry Tea 18th June: Tickets £5.00 Val asked if we could bring items for Tombola prizes to the May meeting. Also, any garden chairs, tables and sun shades would be handy. There will also be plants for sale to help boost funds.

Future Speakers: Rosie Callcott is attending the May meeting to tell us about lymphedema and its effects. Dobbi had been in contact with a GP willing to talk to us about nutritional supplement for later in the year. As more information is needed about current endocrine treatments, a request that a speaker from the Oncology department was made. Croccus Group – we have been invited to attend their AGM at the Woodman with a view to holding a joint meeting.

AOB: A suggestion was made to raise group funds by a sponsored walk around Ferry Meadows. Wellbeing project - Gill no longer attends meetings but update awaiting. Lisa had visited a prosthesis tour in Dublin and had been amazed at the quality of the new products available. Carole asked if anyone would like some shampoo and conditioner for wigs

Read More

March 2016

Considering it was a miserable and cold night we had a good turnout for a March meeting and we were pleased to welcome Stephanie Cassidy from Peterborough Job Centre Plus who joined us to speak about benefits both in and out of work. Steph outlined the four main benefits which would apply to us;

The first was Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for people who are unable to work due to illness or disability. There are 2 types of ESA, and depending on circumstances you may be entitled to one or both of them:
· Contribution-based ESA - you can get this if you've paid enough National Insurance contributions. It's taxable.
· Income-related ESA - you can get this if you have no income or a low income. You don't have to have paid National Insurance contributions and it isn't taxable.

Both require a medical certificate and assessment. Read More... 

AOB
Val informed us that the Strawberry Tea Event would be held on 18th of June not the 25th as previously stated.

Read More

February 2016

Denise welcomed everyone to the groups first meeting in 2016. Collectively we all had vast insights and experiences into the cancer journey which was happily shared to support and inform our new members. 

Prosthesis: The experience of using prosthesis after mastectomy became a hot topic for discussion.

Therapeutic Break: Rosemary wanted to promote the ‘Casting for Recovery’ activity which she, Jayshree, Jenny & Val took part in last year. The experience of being looked after and pampered had been very therapeutic. 

Moving On Course: Rachel said she had referred to the ‘Moving On’ course being run at the Robert Horrell Centre due to the stress of working in Oncology. The course had been highly recommended in the past by Margaret who had found it of considerable benefit.

Summer Strawberries: Val was asked if she would be organising another Strawberry Tea fundraising event this year. A provisional date was agreed for 25th June.

AOB: Deborah asked if anyone had tried the ‘cold cap’ to stop hair loss. Val asked if anyone knew of an accountant willing to audit the group’s accounts. Denise reminded the group that we would be meeting with CROCUS sometime this year to share ideas and experiences. CROCUS is the head and neck cancer group who meet at the Woodman pub up the road

Read More

December 2015

merry christmas pinkRetirement: We started the last meeting of the year with the announcement that Jenny Nottingham, who has been responsible for managing distribution of the PBCSG Newsletter is retiring from the NHS after 28 years. We would all like to thank Jenny for her help in supporting PBCSG and promoting our existence.

Living Well with Cancer: Needless to say as it was our Christmas party there was no formal speaker but Jane and Rosemary had been to the Hospitals ‘Living Well with Cancer’ event and thought it had been very good.

Casting for Recovery Trip: Photographs of the brilliant ‘Casting for Recovery’ trip which Rosemary, Jayshree, Jenny & Val had been on were passed around and was strongly recommended for next year for those who have not been on it.

PartyFun: We had the usual party Quiz’s, one from Val and another from June, pass the parcel and a Secret Santa. Food was paid for from our funds and Val let us off the usual subs for drinks.

Theatre Trip: Key Theatre Studio-Eastern Angles production ‘Holy Mackerell Peterborough’ Christmas Show. The matinee performance is at 2.30pm on 28th January 2016, tickets cost £12.00. Please contact Denise 01733 341491 or Gill 01733 755629 by 15th January to book a place.

Remember there is NO meeting in January -  See you all in February 2016.

Read More

November 2015

Donations: We were all saddened to hear the news that Gordon, Olives husband, had passed away.  As a token of our regards she was given a special bouquet. Her daughter Sarah had come to make a donation of some of the money collected at Gordon’s funeral of £228 which will go into PBCSG funds.

Workplace Programme: Gina introduced her friend Ros who used to work for the Papworth Trust on the Workplace Programme and was an experienced advisor. Ros said the programme had been set-up to provide support to people to get back into work and she had put together a handout specific to Breast Cancer treatment with useful helpline number and websites.

Well-Being Cancer Centre: Gina provided feedback to the group about the Stakeholder Meeting held in the Cresset at Bretton which had focused on the proposal to set up a Well-Being Cancer Centre in the Robert Horrell building. The Steering Group for the Well-Being Centre had met today and things were progressing rapidly.

She also hoped that members might be interested in coming along to the Cancer Service User Group who represent the views of service users and are hoping to have more of a presence in Oncology. The next meeting is from 4.00pm – 6.00pm on 25th November at Robert Horrell Centre.

Christmas Party: It was agreed this would take place at the Holiday Inn and Denise distributed the buffet menu provided by the hotel. Val will provide a quiz to go with the quiz June has devised, Denise will organise the ‘pass the parcel’ parcel and Gill will bring the CD player. We will all bring a secret Santa Gift to the value of £5.00.

Show Night: June suggested a return trip to the Key Studio to see the Eastern Angles production ‘Holy Mackerell Peterborough’ Christmas Show. It was proposed that the matinee performance at 2.30pm on 28th January 2016 was the preferred option, tickets cost £12.00. Members who want to come can pay at the Christmas Party or can phone Denise 01733 341491 or Gill 01733 755629 to book a place

Read More

October 2015

Welcome to two new members 'Lorraine' and 'Nobi'.
Donations: Denise shared a Thank You letter she’d received from Claire & Vanessa, Breast Care Nurse Specialists for the donation of £3,000. £1,000 will be put toward Electronic Tablets & other specialised equipment which will benefit patients being treated at PCH’s Breast Unit. The £2,000 donation, by Buckles Solicitors in Peterborough, will be put towards psychological support & assessments for patients who are BRCA gene carriers, before they undergo risk reducing surgery. Some of our members posed along with Nurses  & Stephen Duffy for a picture handing over the cheque, this should appear in the next edition of PCH’s in-house Pulse Magazine!

FlyFishing: We shared the excitement of four of our members, Rosemary, Jayshree, Jenny & Val, who had recently returned from their Fly Fishing weekend in Scotland, ‘Casting for Recovery’. It sounded wonderfully peaceful, restful & ideal for helping with anxiety and recovery.

Speaker: Denise shared an apology from Caroline Lansell, who was unable to attend for personal reasons and welcomed Kristin, Occupational Therapist & Guest Speaker, who stepped in to cover Caroline at short notice. The topic was Anxiety & Depression, following diagnosis & treatment of Breast Cancer.

IMPORTANT: There is a Stakeholders meeting at The Cresset on Tuesday 20th October, 9.30am-3.30pm. All food and drinks will be provided for free. Parking is also free.  
Please will as many people as possible be they cancer patients, carers, relatives or staff CONTRIBUTE to the ONLY opportunity you will get to have your say or express the kind of Cancer Centre YOU want for Peterborough.

Read More